Robert adamson dating marie casta

13 Jan

Each of the later excavations found an extremely different system of mounds.

In the 1920s the site was damaged by the then-plantation owner Mr. Perry who pastured cattle on the large mounds and cultivated the smaller mounds.

The sites occupation begins with a Jaketown Phase occupation evidenced by a scattering of Poverty Point objects in the lowest levels of excavations.The remaining twelve mounds are positioned around the two plazas situated to the east and west of Mound A.This design is unusual and extremely large for the area; the closest in size and layout being the Winterville Site. Moore reported that the wall was four to 6 feet (1.8 m) high and still reached this height although large sections have now been destroyed.Looting, erosion and cultivation have extensively damaged the Holy Bluff site over the years. Moore’s original estimate is believed to most accurately reflect the situation; many of the smaller earthworks have been lost to recent and intense cultivation.This has caused some debate over the form and degree of some of the earthworks. Moore noted in 1908, following a visit, that some thirty rises and mounds, small and large, could be counted within the enclosure. Brown visited and counted only twenty-five or so mounds within the wall. In January and February 1908, Clarence Bloomfield Moore received permission from the then owner Judge William Andrew Henry of Yazoo City to excavate the sites along the Yazoo River and its tributary the Sunflower River in his steamboat, The Gopher.